Friday, March 07, 2008

Java GUI

Also this week I've been spending a lot of time developing my GUI application in Java. Lots of time spent figuring out how they work again and trying to remember how Listeners work.

Anyway, I now have an application which will read information from an XML file (or other sources once I write the code) and take input from the OpenCV application I knocked up a few weeks ago (or other sources once I write the code). It then uses these to create an on screen representation of the books which can be selected using your finger pointing at a webcam. As there is no notion of "clicking" I am currently using dwell time to select things. I've also made an on-screen keyboard where you can "type" in letters and search for strings within the books and it then highlights all the relevant books on-screen.

A screenshot of the amazing GUIness

Picture of me using the input to select books. Notice my (green clad) finger at the top left in front of the webcam. The image is then processed using OpenCV to detect the position of my fingertip (on the right of the screen) and used to control the cursor on my application (left of the screen).

Next week I'm planning on getting my application working on the screen and spending a lot more time on the input (specifically figuring out if my plan is actually going to work!).

I'm still lacking a name (and not sure about Touchpacity). New ideas include Tiffany and Midas. I will buy anyone who comes up with a name I end up using a pint.

No comments: