Friday, March 07, 2008

More projection...

I spent a bit more time this week experimenting with the projection onto the screen. I managed to find a mirror (which was actually part of a table mat set from a very cheap shop in Wales for £5) which I could use to reflect the projection off. This not only gives me control over where the image goes but also increases the throw of the projector, making the image on the Holoscreen larger.

Hi-tech mirror setup for reflecting the projected image

Image after being reflected off the mirror, with some keystoning this will be about the right size. However, it's only really visible with the lights off due to the low power of the projector

As you can see the mirror makes the image much bigger although it's not very bright. I'm still waiting for another projector (either a standard one or a fancy short-throw one) so in the mean time I bought in my personal projector to see how much difference a bright projector made (although the bulb is past-due to be replaced). I forgot to bring the DVI adapter I needed so unfortunately the image is just of the projector logo, but you get the idea.

As you can see this projector is much brighter, even with the lights on. Certainly bright enough for what I need.

And a close up shot, ignore the lines on the screen; they are due to the DLP projector and you can't see them in real-life

The next thing I wanted to find out was how deep the shelves could be before they restricted the image. Obviously this depends on a number of factors; mostly the angle of projection (determined by the mirror), the depth of the shelves and the height of the lowest shelf. I stuck a bit of card hanging off a shelf at the top of the bookcase at the depth where I want the shelves to be (I'm planning on cutting them). This would then provide an object to obstruct the projection so I could see how big of a problem it would be. If you look closely at the image (apart from my reflection) you can see the cardboard inside dangling down, and then you can see a black area where the card is causing a shadow right at the top of the projected image. As you can see this shouldn't present too much of a problem as the shelves can be fairly low down before interfering with the image.

Pic showing how the shelves might cause problems for the projected image (ignore the reflection of me taking a photo!)

No comments: